The diversity of the American Muslim community reflects the diversity of America. An amalgam of the world’s races, ethnicities, and cultures, Muslims have been a part of the American fabric from before our country’s founding weaving through the history of our great nation.
Shaped by multiple and intersecting identities American Muslims feel the enormous challenges faced by our nation. From the economy to the environment, we recognize that the destiny of all Americans is shared.
The framework of the Muslim Caucus of America’s national platform is designed to secure equal rights and equal opportunity for all. Promote social and economic justice and the health and safety of all Americans. The Muslim Caucus of America is committed to ending violence, racism, Islamophobia, and ensuring dignity and respect for all Americans.
BRING AMERICANS TOGETHER AND REMOVE BARRIERS TO OPPORTUNITIES AND PROVIDE JUSTICE AND EQUALITY FOR ALL.
- Ending systematic Islamophobia in our domestic and foreign policies. Including policies and practices manifested within the Criminal Justice and Immigration System and the Military.
- Ending systematic racism and envision a vibrant society with fair treatment of people of all races.
- Eliminating disparities and reduce the racial wealth gap.
- Ending poverty and investments in communities left behind.
- Ending the school-to-prison-pipeline.
- Reform our criminal justice system.
- Reform our immigration system.
- Welcoming refugees and asylum seekers.
- Ending violence against women.
- Respecting faith and service.
- Promoting strong net neutrality regulations.
- Ending Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system to ensure the public’s right to know, combat corruption and undue influence, enable candidates to compete more equitably for public office and allow maximum citizen participation in the political process.
COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE, BUILD A CLEAN ENERGY ECONOMY, AND SECURE ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
- Secure environment and climate justice.
- Ensuring free and equal access to clean air and clean water for all.
- Protect our country from the physical, economic and public health effects of climate change while also providing pathways to economic prosperity.
- Improve energy efficiency throughout the economy and improve pollution control, including shifting to renewable energy, establishing federal fuel-efficiency standards and oppose oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, including the Keystone XL Pipeline.
FOSTER A PEACEFUL, SAFE AND SECURE WORLD FOR ALL
- Opposing the use of religious, ethnic, and racial profiling for the purposes of law enforcement and counter-terrorism measures.
- Centering democracy, freedom and human rights for all.
- Limiting the accessibility and regulate the ownership of gun laws including, but not limited to, enforcing universal background check laws, banning assault weapons, and closing the gun show loophole.
- Preventing militarization of our states and local police forces.
- Supporting Americans' right to privacy, and preventing unwarranted surveillance into their lives and houses of worship.
- Opposing torture in all instances and supporting the prosecution of any officials who aid and abet torture. We define “enhanced interrogation” as torture under the United Nations Charter.
- Supporting the closing of Guantanamo Bay, trying the detainees in the Federal Judicial court system and charging any detainees as appropriate. Releasing the detainees who are not tried and charged. Transfer of remaining detainees to facilities within the US
- Supporting stronger congressional and judicial oversight of drone programs.
- Supporting a thorough re-evaluation and substantial revision and/or repeal of the Patriot Act.
- Supporting the enforcement of the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which limits the Executive’s ability to send US troops into hostile action without a Declaration of War by the Congress.
- Supporting regulations which require the Executive branch to seek congressional approval at least every three years in a declaration of war.
- Reevaluate and redefine the so-called “War on Terror”.
- Opposing the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- Supporting the use of the FACE Act and other regulations to protect houses of worship from “armed protests” and other acts of intimidation.
RAISE INCOMES AND RESTORE ECONOMIC SECURITY FOR THE MIDDLE AND WORKING-CLASS FAMILIES
- Bridge the income gap with a fair and living wages including equal pay for equal work for all Americans.
- Minimum wage predicated on the increase in GNP (Gross National Product) for all Americans.
- Provide more workers with near record profit-sharing plans including higher pay and expanded benefits, and better labor-management relations.
- Protect Workers’ Fundamental Rights and oppose any efforts to erode workers’ earned benefits such as social security, unemployment insurance, retirement, and pension programs.
- Paid sick leave, overtime after an eight (8)-hour work day, and guaranteed paid vacation time.
- Paid family leave.
- Expanding access to affordable housing and homeownership.
- Protection against workplace discrimination for Muslims and those who are mistaken for Muslims.
PROVIDE QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE EDUCATION
- Making debt-free college a reality and providing relief from crushing student debt.
- Support institutions and programs which assure the diversity of the student body, including historically black colleges and universities.
- Universal Preschool and resources and funding for schools in improvised areas
- Safeguard the rights and protections of all students by enforcing our nation’s civil rights laws and implementing regulations that prohibit discrimination and providing additional support to educators to prevent such discrimination.
- Expanding civics and social studies curricula including world history and its relationship to the advancement of civilization for the K-12 community, and all educators in ways that are constitutionally and academically sound.
ENSURE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ALL AMERICANS
- Protecting and promoting public health. Ensuring access to affordable, quality health care for all Americans. We believe that all Americans should have access to a basic level of care, including disease prevention, primary care (including prenatal and reproductive health), acute long-term care, mental health care, and health promotion and education.
- Supporting the Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) of 2000.
- Combating Islamophobia and ending the use of religion to discriminate.