The Muslim Caucus of America is a strategic partner to its members, chapters, and affiliates, across all 50 States in catalyzing democratic renewal. Together we empower our grassroots, multi-state affiliate base of Changemakers to advance racial, economic, and religious equity. Lifting the shared aspirations and hopes of the Muslim people in all their diversity to reshape our democracy, and the American democratic promise extended to all.
To build a more equitable democracy for all Americans.
Muslim Caucus of America is a national 501(c) 4 organization that builds power from the community up, empowering grassroots affiliates to increase participation with access to tools that intentionally build structured and collaborative leadership, develop a path of political engagement, and powerfully build collective action. Through our collective action, we will progressively increase our electoral power!
Muslim Caucus Education Collective is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit that provides civic education and leadership development of diverse American Muslim men, women, and youth. We train, facilitate local and regional collaboration, and support voter registration. Learn more about the Educational Collective.
WHAT WE DO
- We invest in building the leadership skills, and civic power of American Muslims excluded from democratic discourse.
- We provide hands-on support to local affiliates and active members with the tools to build capacity and organize to achieve our mission.
- We prepare American Muslims in the practice of democracy every day - not just at election time.
- We facilitate peer-to-peer learning by connecting activists and organizers to one another to sharpen strategies, enhance the power of organizing and streamline American Muslim political capital.
- Increased proactive political engagement of American Muslims across the country.
- Amplified authentic American Muslim voices, ensuring our community members lead with impact.
- Empowered American Muslims exercising civic responsibility and duty to hold elected officials accountable and challenging establishment politics.
- Growing the American Muslims electorate.
Muslims have been present in America since its founding. In 2014, President Obama referenced the “achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy.” Despite that role in the American story, today’s American Muslims remain under-represented and largely excluded from the political process.
The 2016 election was a wake-up call for Muslim Americans and the organizations that protect their values. The politics of fear and othering of Americans who are Muslims just because of their faith, banning them from entering the country just because of their faith, criminalizing refugees and asylum seekers fleeing war, violence, and persecution just because of their faith - all unconstitutional religious discrimination!
In 2017, a core group of Muslim activists responded with an unprecedented focus on organizing to enact change in the political terrain of our country through the Muslim Caucus of America. Filling the gap to better equip our communities to build the power of the people; by building capacity, by creating spaces for continuing education, consciousness building, and training of activists and leaders on the front lines in a way that creates opportunity and advances racial and religious equity for all.
We are proud of the diversity which naturally reflects in the broad range of racial and ethnic backgrounds of Muslims in America, which undoubtedly helps make American democracy stronger. The Muslim Caucus of America reflects that diversity with a commitment to seeing Muslim Americans positioned to work towards a more thriving democracy.
Since our country's inception, race and religion-based barriers have hindered the fulfillment of our shared values, and many of these barriers persist today in the form of Islamophobia. This is our moment to organize locally, regionally, and nationally to build our power and take action against the systemic racism and religious discrimination that threatens our civil and constitutional rights as Americans.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
MUSLIM CAUCUS OF AMERICA
Empowering American Muslims to run for office, hold elected officials accountable and challenge establishment politics.
MUSLIM CAUCUS EDUCATION COLLECTIVE
Civic education and leadership development